Studio Giggle X Distortion Studio
Studio Technician - Job Description
Established in 2006, Studio Giggle has been creating award-winning content for over a decade. Based in our studio in The Paintworks in Bristol we specialise in designing and producing interactive, immersive content for extraordinary events. In addition, our wonderful team also creates animated and filmed content for global brands and their communication and marketing needs.
In 2022, we established Distortion Studio. Distortion Studio will be a sister brand of Studio Giggle and Distortion Productions (a new production company) under Distortion Creative Group Limited.
What is Distortion Productions?
A team of award-winning innovators created distortion to utilise new story-telling technologies in TV and film production. Distortion Productions is rebellious, creative and consciously commercial. Distortion Productions will focus on new writing that blurs the boundaries of everyday experiences with stories that transport viewers to unique new and extraordinary times and places.
Distortion studio will be the de facto specialists in producing TV/Film utilising Virtual production techniques.
Distortion is a rebel brand. Rebel values lie outside the social structures and norms. We seek a better, more humane and efficient way, and we stand out because of our non-conformity to be normal. Our voice is authentic and knowledgeable, we tell the truth when others use smoke and mirrors.
What is Distortion Studio?
Distortion Studio is a brand new facility based in Bristol. Distortion Studio is a specialist virtual production studio. What is Virtual Production? Sometimes called ‘In camera special effects’ or ICVFX, Virtual production is a relatively new technique of producing content using a unique integration of various technologies. Advanced 3D camera tracking tracks the camera in 3D space sensing pan, tilt, zoom, focus etc. This information is fed through various software to an Unreal Engine server. Unreal Engine is a game engine developed by Epic Games which drives some of the world's most famous games such as Fortnite. All this data drives the Unreal Engine to create movable images on an LED volume (basically a big LED wall). The camera captures the subject and the background in camera to get an image in real time. By doing this you can put your subject on the moon, in a desert or anywhere. It helps production times, budgets and very importantly the need to fly to far flung destinations to capture content.
Distortion Group’s culture
We are a small, tight-knit team of curious creatives. The studio is run by the two directors who are often out of the office leaving the rest of the team to be quite autonomous in their work.
The successful candidate will be joining a team of respectful, brilliant colleagues who enjoy each other’s company and support each other in their personal development throughout everything we do. We seek to challenge ourselves. Every day is different with new problems to solve.
Distortion is in The Paintworks in Bristol. The Paintworks is a creative hub in Bristol with similar companies working around us. The Bocabar is a local feature for socialising after (and sometimes during) work.
We pride ourselves on trying to achieve as diverse a working culture as possible. We work hard to maintain a healthy work / life balance and are welcoming to all applicants regardless of their background, ethnicity, disability. We aim to be a safe environment and an open working culture where neurodiversity is seen as an asset not a liability.
We take pride in constantly developing our colleagues through knowledge sharing with each other and the wider freelance community as well as regularly encouraging formal on the job training and mentorship within the company as well as externally.
The new studio will be based in a wholly new venue. The plan is to move the entire team to this new studio.
As Distortion Studio is looking to recruit a Studio Technician. This role will report to the Technical Director and the Studio Manager and work closely alongside the the existing Distortion Studio team :
- Founder, Group Managing Director
- Founder, Creative Director
- Account and Operations Director
- Technical Director
- Distortion Studio Manager
This is a unique opportunity for a recent graduate or someone that is looking to expand on their skills in this exciting new area of filmmaking. The role will work closely with our Technical Director and is perfect for someone who is curious and keen to learn a wide range of skills.
The studio technician will be responsible for the smooth running of the new studio. The role will include:
- Computer maintenance
- Camera tracking
- Visual engineering
- Media server programming
- Lighting set-up
- Camera set-up
- Slotting into various technical roles on set, including DIT, recording, Clapper loading, camera assistance, lighting assistance etc.
- Studio Maintenance
- Keeping track of equipment, integrating a stock management system
- Looking after equipment
- General assistance to the Technical Director
- Looking after clients visiting and working in the studio
- Ensuring the studio is stocked with everything that is required for clients
- Ensuring the studio is looked after, maintained and cleaned
- Booking equipment for studio shoots
- Film production experience
- A knowledge of the film and TV industry
- Experience in studio management or technical production
- Well presented client management skills
- A wide knowledge of film production and the techniques
- Relationship building skills
Salary Grade: £22K - £30K depending on experience
Employee benefits if ‘on the payroll’ and not a contractor
- Holidays: 24 plus bank holidays and a day around birthday if an employee
- Pension: pension that complies with auto enrollment pensions if appropriate
- Access to Heka a well being scheme that we contribute to financially, monthly
- Income Protection. 50% Salary after 6 months signed off sick by a doctor.
- On the job training is constantly provided.
- The job will be based in our studio in Bristol
- Hours of work: The contract is for a 40 hour week. Generally the hours are 09:00 - 18:00 but we are very flexible around working hours around personal commitments such as child-care, working from home etc.